How to Install a New Shower Head
Like most small home repairs, as long as you have the correct tools, you can easily replace your shower head. Don’t let the fact that you are dealing with plumbing scare you; replacing a shower head is very simple. In addition, if you are new to home improvements, this should give you a nice confidence boost!
When you are finished replacing your shower head, check out a couple of our other DIY home improvement projects:
Check out the video below and we have included step by step instructions below:
What you need:
- Groove joint pliers
- Tooth brush
- New shower head
- Adjustable wrench
- Rags (2)
- Teflon tape
- Wrap a rag around the show head and shower arm so you won’t scratch them with the pliers
- Using the adjustable wrench, loosen the old shower head while holding firm on the shower arm with pliers
- Turn counter clockwise to unscrew and remove
- Clean the threads of the shower arm with an old toothbrush to remove any old teflon tape
- Cover the pipe threads with teflon tape or pipe thread
- Make sure to wrap tape in a clockwise direction so it does not peel off when you screw on the new shower head
- Screw the new shower head on by hand until it is snug
- Finish tightening the shower head using the adjustable wrench while holding tight on the shower arm with pliers
- Again, make sure to cover both the shower head and shower arm with rags to prevent scratching
- Turn on the shower and check for any leaks and to assure it is completely tightened
So, as you can see, it is very simple to replace your own shower head. Use this new skill to find a low-flow shower head so you can conserve energy, save money and help the environment!
For more great tips, please visit the Home Improvement section of our website!